January 31, 2006

fuckT striyansaathi..!



Stampede Déjà Vu

to hang or not to hang
a question i ask my humble self
as a gorilla army of Mrs Godbole(s) push against me
i ripple amidst the drang

..determined not to lemme grab that fourth seat
all sakkubais shove in, in 5 seconds flat
with a silent, fleshly, "me aadhi jhaate!"
add babies screamin, chappals left behind..n all that

hey, i haven't lost courage,
i'll make it inside this one..i can bet!
so i push n i push! ..not really, i'm being pushed.
n sturdy myself on the entrance. n thats just yet.

suffering on the platform wasn't hell enough
perdition personified is the damn women's dabba
oil slicks , gajras, snot & lice n stinky armpits,
eunuchs cussing n auntyji spraying muck with her cough
..hai mere rabba!

murder, suicide, my bag...OUCH!
all these thoughts breeze in together
and while i'm holding on to these and my life
SLAMM! (..even the lady stuck to my butt heard this)
a rugrat jus bulldozed into my ascending colon
givin me a belly acher

trying to save my tears,
never thought, the toothless fairy in front
was about to redefine a foot smash
holy mother of gawwd..trying to say something mean
but a nasty stare is all with i could backlash

just a few minutes more, n i'll be outta misery,
i force the lord to gimme some strength
coz i can see blood in the eyes of sakku to kiss the platform
not today, i don't wanna die a chicken's death
---00000----
glossary:
  • fuckt striyansaathi-> only for women
  • me aadhi jhaate->i'll go first
  • dabba->box (here, means compartment)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It's gonna be 3 years now.. Local trains zindabaad :-/
Around 5 million people travel by central line every day and the western line hogs approximately half of that. As anonymous often quote, "No matter when u travel in locals, it seems these millions of people want to catch the same train U want to." By the way, the rhymey above is my ode to the western locals, I’d like to take a bow for them .. leaving barely an inch to stand, these striyansaathi dabba-walis manage to reach home with a handful cat fights.
I thank goodness that i'm a little less unfortunate as I travel by the harbour line, which hasn't become as unbearable as the western yet...but, it'll soon be the number one crappy local line if people don't stop spitting, disposing peanuts/fruits/polythene peels n scraps inside n outside the trains. About the crowded part, I say cushioning is welcome :-p

What really inspired me for this write up was the adventurous junta of bumbai, which displays acts of courage with their multifarious methods of travelling ON a local train. I witnessed one of such events a few days back, the guy was travelling on the window of women's dabba (pic above). Although the fungus on his dirty dry toes was right on my face...well, almost.. I thought it was worth a shot. I can only imagine the adrenaline rush he must be going through.

[I did something crazy too today. me n su. On our way back from the play at horniman circle garden, went to catch a glimpse of Indian Ocean..Alas, they had rescheduled n we missed em. But heard a bit of Rabbi instead. Got bored n came out of azad maidan n heard the keeda inside knocking. This keeda has been there for sometime now. Ever since i watched thelma and louise i guess :-p Wondering what did we do? ..nuthin much, just sat on the main road divider listening to music with heavy traffic passing us on both sides. Like i said nuthin much..good stuff is yet to come ;-)]

I digressed from what i was talking about. The local train fiesta. The adventure part innit.
My everyday need of adventure, book reading time, lost sleep, music..with my late mp3 (snifff!) and even food sometimes is fulfilled in the harbour line trains i travel in.
I enjoy standing on the foot stand when the trains are almost empty, for some fresh air of course. Also, I’ve started enjoying the rare cat fights. Talking about adventure, I would not recommend getting on or off a moving train, but often the need for such tactics arises when u'r in B amess. Doesn’t sound relevant? ..Heck, I just felt like crediting my misadventures on B amess (I love that name!)
Moreover, alighting a moving train is nothing when compared to the spine chilling tactics u see other people performing everyday for their appetite of adventure.
Also, I’ve read those books during my travel time which i would consider a waste of precious time. U guessed it right, i'm talking about kotler, rupali's notes n similar shit. (when u can accomplish so much otherwise in reading douglas adams). And often had the best naps ever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Eunuchs patting your head for a sec of blessings to get money in return. The amalgamated smell of gajra and some weird hair oil. Well dressed women reluctant sitting next to a fisherwoman. The sounds of harmonium and the child artists singing dil ne ye kaha hai humse..mohobbat ho gayi hai tumse. Woman sitting next to me digging into her purse (and the side of me with her elbow, which is still annoying) looking her loud cell phone. The lady TC who checks you only the day you’ve forgotten your pass at home. Women who notice you noticing them picking their nose and then smile.

I have learnt to enjoy myself in these years of train travel. It is not that bad as it seemed earlier.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahh!! finally uve used it somewhr! d 'fuckt stri...' good uve got it outa ure system ..poems good but as i suspected like always u oversold it to us.

hmm i still dont know wat to write on my freaking blog dude...arrgh!!

su.

and sitting on tht divider btw was nothin short of crazy with those horny men behind us and d BMC office and d cops so close and the traffic nearly kissing my knees! and no tanvi to save me around!!

but getting grassified at kala ghoda we must ..hell maybe we'll even paint!! carry ure rechargeable AAAs n il get my mp3 n other neccesaries...MUST DO GURRL!!

2/13/2006 5:18 PM  
Blogger MuVo said...

oh c'monn missy..atleast i wrote sumthing on my blog. u shud write too instead of dude this n dude that.

n wat horny men ur talkin about? ..only if u'd taken a jacket over ur tube top. u sure make it sound like they n the bmc wallas resposible for our little adventure.

painting is a gud idea at kalaghoda. mebbe day after.
see ya at usc.

2/13/2006 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved your blog...it totally rocks... it should say fuck the striyansathi...not fuckt... lol...you totally rock...

2/14/2006 4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that sure is good poetry, nice fluidity of thought coming out in choicest of words. chuck the dog trainin n all, u wud be a swell writer!!!!! kukkad

2/17/2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger MuVo said...

shukriya anari n kukkad ji..the appreciation sure makes me feel lika star on my silly lil blog.

kukkad ji, y can't i be a swell writer ..and a dog trainer at the same time? ;-)

2/18/2006 12:47 AM  
Blogger WeirdiSgooD said...

ahh ...mere words wont help me tell you just how much i enjoyed the poem! ingenious !!! and i LOVE the terms employed... jeez...atta gurl !!! wayyyyy to go !

2/18/2006 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

arrgh..finally i have gotten my lazy self 2 type on ur blog..d poem rocked..do me a favor n scribble dis on all d ladies compartmentz..those bitches raped my poor bag..

2/28/2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger The Wanderer™ said...

This post was very very good..

Never been on these infamous Mumbai trains, but I've had my fair share of crowded trains in other places..

Pity you dont write in here anymore. I think you should:)

5/15/2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger MuVo said...

Thank u shaz miyan..
Well..I think everyone should try the local train joyrides in Mumbai. They sure give you the living on the edge experience. Quite literally.

You could even enact the Matrix scenes there-Picture this.. Balancing on the foot stand, being pushed by the ppl from inside the dabba n then do what Neo does when the bullets are shot towards him. The little change in situation here is that u're trying to save yourself from the electric poles which stand closely along the railway tracks.

5/15/2006 8:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Punk !

I think that this is a very well written article. For me, it really communicated the emotions and experience of the Mumbai locals (I know how they are!). Nice selection of words, nice flow of the rhymey, brilliant photo (of the man outside (!) the Women's Dabba. And all of that came together in lovely anecdotes.

Keep them coming!
Apurva

7/25/2006 5:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Punk !

I think that this is a very well written article. For me, it really communicated the emotions and experience of the Mumbai locals (I know how they are!). Nice selection of words, nice flow of the rhymey, brilliant photo (of the man outside (!) the Women's Dabba. And all of that came together in lovely anecdotes.

Keep them coming!
Apurva

7/25/2006 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home